Healthy gums are essential for good oral health. They are also a key component of a beautiful smile.
The following are steps you could take to maintain proper gum health:
- Brush regularly – Brushing your teeth twice a day will keep your teeth and gums healthy. Brush gently. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush for at least two minutes in order to significantly reduce the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Floss – Flossing supplements brushing. It cleans the areas of the teeth that cannot be reached by a brush. It will remove the plaque that stays between the teeth and can turn into tartar. The buildup of plaque and tartar harbors bacteria that will lead to gum inflammation.
- Use mouthwash – Using mouthwash will keep your breath fresh and help drive harmful bacteria away.
- Eat cheese – When brushing is not possible, eat a piece of cheese. Cheese will help remove some of the plaque and food particles from your last meal. Cheese also provides calcium that is important in keeping your bones and teeth strong.
- Chew gum – Pop a piece of sugar-free gum in your mouth, and chew for about 20 minutes after each meal. The gum will help keep your mouth clean and fresh smelling. Avoid chewing gum for an extended period because it could lead to problems with your jaw. Avoid gum with sugar, which will create more plaque and bacteria in the teeth.
If your gums bleed, talk to a dental professional to make sure that there is not an underlying problem that should be addressed immediately. As a Centerville periodontist in Utah, I join my staff in inviting you to our clinic. Our years of experience with periodontal diseases and gum treatments make us well equipped to keep your smile healthy and beautiful.